In the past year, kitchen remodeling has been a top project for remodelers and it’s a good way to enhance the value of your home. But, you want to make sure that you are setting yourself up for success before ripping out your floors and tearing down your kitchen cabinets. Follow these do’s and don’ts to create the dream kitchen you’ve always wanted the appropriate way:
- Do some research to make sure you are hiring a qualified contractor. Browse reviews online, ask your friends and peers for recommendations, and don’t settle just because one contractor has the lowest bid.
- Identify your kitchen must-haves—is energy efficiency important to you? Have a particular finish or countertop material? Do you want to have high-tech appliances?
- Evaluate what an ideal floor plan for your kitchen would look like. Keep it functional and efficient with plenty of storage and countertop space that meets your needs and the needs of your home. What function do you want this space to serve? What do you like to use the kitchen for most frequently? Cooking? Entertaining? Spending time with your family?
- Hang on to all your receipts. Have them in a safe place to pull out when filing your taxes or to use when you are ready to sell your home in the future.
- Focus exclusively on the aesthetic of your new kitchen—shiny countertops or a perfect color palette aren’t the most critical things about your new kitchen. Be sure the quality of your cabinets, countertops and replacement windows is high to keep your kitchen running efficiently for years to come.
- Forget stick with the budget! Remain on budget by prioritizing based on your needs and what features are worth the most to you. We advise budgeting at least 10 percent more than what you believe you’ll need so you can cover unexpected costs during the remodeling process.
- Forget to assess the windows! Pella Windows and Doors has a range of excellent kitchen window styles that can bring together an entire kitchen remodel.
One of the most important parts of a kitchen remodeling project is the windows—they allow light into your space, set the tone for the room and give you a gateway to the outdoors, which is especially nice when there’s a cool breeze on a summer day. If you are thinking about replacement windows as a part of your kitchen remodel, give our professionals at Pella Windows and Doors a call at 309-663-7132, stop by our Bloomington showroom or book an in-home consultation with us online so we can help you pick out the right replacement windows for your kitchen needs.