There is a moment every Bloomington winter when you can’t locate the cause of the draft in your home. It could potentially be originating from a window that isn’t secured or sealed correctly. Even the slightest of cracks can make homes uneasy and cold, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help save money and decrease drafty air from passing through your home, it’s important to be able to recognize where these window drafts may be originating from and why. Here are some helpful tips to pinpoint your Bloomington home’s drafts and inspect for issues:
- Examine for gaps and fractures in uncommon locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the usual windows with workable abilities and use a straightforward visual inspection.
- Examine to confirm that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket around the operable portion of the window or door is accurately sealing.
- Test the installation by determining if the draft is coming through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only operate as well as it is positioned.
- Call a specialist from Pella Windows and Doors in Bloomington to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is deriving from, the next step is to concentrate on the foundation of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the specialists in Bloomington a call at 309-663-7132 with any extra questions or prospective replacement needs.